Carpet stairs are an interior decoration option widely used in many modern buildings such as homes, offices, restaurants, etc.
With use, the stair carpets can easily collect dust and become dirty. However, little attention is usually paid to cleaning.
So, how to clean carpet on stairs? This blog will show you some easy and effective stair carpet cleaning methods that anyone can use without the need for technical knowledge.
Benefits Of Carpet Cleaning
Aside from decorative pieces such as decorative carpets and office carpets, stair carpets are also very common in homes, restaurants, and businesses.
However, stair carpets are easily stained due to the frequent impact of humans and other natural factors.
If left for a long time without proper cleaning, it will affect the aesthetic of the space. As a result, regular carpet cleaning is critical and provides numerous benefits.
These amazing benefits include:
- Remove all dirt and bacteria that are harmful to human health.
- Eliminate unpleasant odors on the carpet caused by beverage and food spillage, pet odor, etc.
- Give your stair carpet and living space a new and clean look.
- Increase the product’s durability.
The benefits can go on. However, we won’t bore you with the details. Keep on reading if you want to know how to keep carpet on stairs clean.
How To Clean Carpet On Stairs
Beautiful carpets will add a special touch to your home. There’s no need to hire a professional carpet cleaner regularly when you can clean the carpet thoroughly and affordably yourself.
Please see this page for the most effective stair carpets cleaning methods.
1. Cleaning Stair Carpets With A Carpet Washer
Carpeting for stairs adds elegance, but it also collects sand, pet hair, pieces of debris, dirt, moisture, food crumbs, gum residue, etc.
Furthermore, cleaning stair carpets can be an extremely difficult and time-consuming task in your cleaning schedule. As a result, many people have chosen to use carpet washing machines rather than manual labor.
- Prepare a carpet washing machine; you should choose modern machines to ensure the best cleaning and drying process.
- With carpets on stairs, you should choose specialized tools such as a round broom to remove dirt particles and minimize damage and scratches on the surface.
- Use a rug vacuum first to remove dry debris and dust from the carpet to avoid dirt penetrating deeply into the carpet fibers and becoming difficult to remove.
- Use a rug vacuum cleaner with a coarse dirt nozzle for large stairs or a crevice nozzle for smaller stairs.
- Because each family’s carpet is made of different materials, you should select a carpet cleaner and solution based on the carpet’s materials when spot cleaning it.
- More specifically, wool carpets should be cleaned with a neutral detergent solution, while synthetic fibers should be cleaned with specialized detergents and should not be soaked.
2. Cleaning Stair Carpets With Baking Soda
Most importantly, do you know how to deep clean nylon carpet on stairs?
Cleaning nylon carpets with baking soda is a low-cost and environmentally friendly option. It also aids in the removal of odors and persistent visible stains from the nylon carpets. Baking soda is also a popular method to clean kitchen stuff such as wood stove glass or top stove gas.
Luckily, the solution is fairly simple. If you sprinkle baking soda on your carpet fiber and then vacuum them, you will be rewarded with brand new looking carpets.
When you want to clean your carpet at home with baking soda, follow these steps:
- Sprinkle baking soda liberally over the stains.
- Spray warm water over stains.
- Let them sit for about 3 hours (preferably overnight).
- Cover the stain with a wet cloth.
- Then use a vacuum cleaner to clean the carpet. Pull the vacuum cleaner slowly and in many different directions to clean the carpet fibers thoroughly and evenly.
3. Wash Carpets With Glass Cleaners And An Iron
Maybe you don’t own any tools made specifically for carpet cleaning, and you are wondering how to clean carpet on stairs without a machine?
With this method, you will be able to remove stubborn stains caused by dirt, colored beverages, and other substances that can cling to you to your precious carpet.
Firstly, you need to prepare the following essential tools:
- Glass cleaner solution
- Steam cleaners
- Wet wipes
- A dry towel
- After spraying the prepared glass cleaner on the difficult stain, wait 2-3 minutes for the solution to penetrate evenly and soften the stain.
- After that, place a dry towel on the area to be cleaned and use the iron to gently iron it back and forth on the towel’s surface. This will allow the stain to seep back onto the towel, restoring the carpet’s original clean appearance.
This method works wonders for stubborn stains, but it cannot completely remove other types of dirt.
You should only use this method if the carpet is still clean and has only some small stains that need to be removed so that the carpet’s appearance does not deteriorate.
4. Clean Carpets With Dishwashing Liquids And White Vinegar
Do you want to know how to clean dirty carpet on stairs with vinegar?
A vinegar solution can remove many stubborn stains from various items and appliances, and it works even better when combined with dishwashing liquid or liquid laundry detergent.
First, to wash your family’s carpet in this way, you need to prepare:
- White vinegar
- Dishwashing liquid
- A clean towel
- Dry sponge/dryer or iron
- The most complicated part of this cleaning method is to mix the correct detergent mixture according to the recipe: 2 tablespoons of white vinegar + 2 tablespoons of dishwashing liquid + 2 cups of warm water.
- Soak a clean cloth in the mixture and place it on the stained carpet. Leave it on for about 10-20 minutes. The stain will gradually penetrate the fabric and disappear without a trace on the carpet’s surface.
- In the final stage, use a dry sponge to absorb the solution that has been soaking into the rug. You can use a white cloth and iron or a hairdryer to dry it quickly for a more polished look.
Difficulties In Self-Cleaning Carpets At Home
With the above four basic ways, you will be able to remove stains and dust on the carpet completely.
However, in practice, there may be difficulties along the implementation process that you can encounter:
- Tough stains, such as bloodstains, children’s urine stains, alcohol stains, etc., are difficult to remove without special cleaning solutions.
- Carpet cleaning might take longer than expected because of the lack of professional machinery and equipment.
- Carpets with a large area often make it very difficult to clean.
- Carpet cleaning may require multiple stages and thus can take up lots of your time. This is not a small challenge for those who have a busy work life.
What Is The Best Way To Clean Carpets On Stairs?
There are numerous methods for cleaning stair carpets at home, depending on the needs of the user and the level of dirt on the carpet.
However, most users prefer the carpet cleaning method with a carpet washing machine as it can be less time-consuming.
How Often Should You Clean Carpeted Stairs?
How often you should clean your carpeted stairs depends on your family. According to a survey, daily cleaning is the best.
However, if you are short on time, you should clean the carpet once a week to ensure it is still consistently cleaned.
Stair carpet cleaning is a critical task in keeping living environments clean and safe for one’s health.
If you don’t know how to clean carpet on stairs, hopefully, the information provided above will inform you how to clean your home carpets in the most efficient way.