Their skin is extremely sensitive for children, especially babies, in addition to their respiratory and digestive systems. That is why children are often prone to skin diseases.
One of the most common is yeast infection behind baby’s ear. This common bacterial infection occurs in children of all ages and needs to be treated quickly.
Jump into the next part to know the causes and how to solve this situation.
What Is Yeast Infection Behind Baby’s Ear?
What does a yeast infection look like on a baby? One of the most obvious signs of a yeast infection is a red sore behind the ear or above the earlobe;sometimes, you will also see swelling or peeling of the skin. The main cause of this is viruses or fungi that cause skin diseases.
To choose the appropriate circumstance, you need to be clear about it. From that point, you can discover a way to lessen these problems.
The signs of infection, which is brought on by many viruses and fungus types, might vary from patient to patient. There are a few well-known examples you can look at:
- Itchy, and flaky, and dry skin
- Dry and silvery-white or yellow scales, dry cracked scalp, pain
- Flushed skin, burning sensation, and stinging feeling
- Swollen lymph nodes with cough and runny nose
- Inflammation of the nasal passages with dry cough and high fever
Symptoms will be complex and varied, depending on the person and the type of fungus causing the disease.
However, the most common sign is a feeling of pain, dryness, and slightly reddening in the ear area.
Why Does My Baby Have A Rash Behind His Ear?
Sometimes, piercing baby ears too early at 3 months can cause infection. But there are more urgent cases worth your attention than that. So, what causes yeast infection behind the ear?
When your little one is exposed to a substance and manifests yeast behind the ear, it is called Contact dermatitis.
And this substance can be anything your child is allergic to. Even if you have used this product on children before, allergic reactions can still occur due to changes in ingredients during storage or environmental conditions.
Some that you can consider as the root of ear infection:
- Hair care products
- Baby powder
Cradle Cap or Dandruff are other names for this disease, causing a burning sensation due to the flaking of the scabs. There will also be itching and yellow discharge when the scabs fall off.
Scalp psoriasis not only appears on the top of the head but also extends behind the ears. It produces white flakes that look like dandruff and are uncomfortable.
Although this disease is more common in adults, it does not mean that children will not get it. Intertrigo caused by rubbing one area of skin with another with more moisture causes scratching and irritation.
In children, the most common cause is salivation while sleeping. It makes the earlobe moist and susceptible to infection.
The disease is caused by special viruses that mainly infect the respiratory system called Measles. This disease is easily transmitted through airborne particles.
In addition to behind the ears and hairline, measles can appear on all body parts such as the hands, feet, and neck.
It sounds normal, but if left untreated, it can lead to mild symptoms such as diarrhea or more severe encephalitis.
There was a time when Rubella suddenly spread in many countries. It is also known as German measle, which is common in children and adolescents.
It causes symptoms like fever, enlarged and swollen lymph nodes, coughing, and mind pink eyes. As usual, it will not be so dangerous to kids.
But if it is a pregnant woman, it is different, and this disease can lead to stillbirth or miscarriage.
Lupus is a disease that results from an autoimmune disorder. Not all patients develop a rash with this disease, and its signs entail red, ring-shaped, or circular scales. Lupus erythematosus is aggravated by sun exposure.
How Do You Treat A Yeast Infection Behind The Ear?
For more severe cases of fungal infection caused by contact dermatitis, a biopsy should be performed for confirmation. Mild cases can be treated at home.
Treatment for contact dermatitis:
- Identify irritants: You need to observe them during daily use or seek the help of a doctor.
- Discontinue use of cleaning agents until the cause is determined
- Use Steroid creams or ointments. This is an over-the-counter one, and you can buy it at drugstores. The appropriate dose is 1 to 2 times a day.
- Protect your baby skin from dust and other harmful substances
To cure ear rash baby caused by Seborrheic dermatitis, it’s necessary to determine the baby’s skin condition.
If the inflammation is mild:
- Use antifungal treatment such as topical antifungal cream and medicated shampoo to soothe it.
- Keep the head, ear, and neck clean.
- Protect their head and ear from dust or ordinary substance like soap or shampoo
For more serious cases
- Ask for help from a dermatologist
- Use topical steroids or TCIs to soothe the inflammation (prescribed by a dermatologist)
- Oral antifungal agents can be helpful
For scalp psoriasis, the treatment in children may differ slightly from one to another.
Some common remedies can be applied, such as:
- Vitamin D cream
- Shampoos made with salicylic acid or coal tar
- Creams, lotions, and ointments can soothe it
- Cured by ultraviolet (UV) light. This one should be suggested and done by a dermatologist.
Like the causes creating newborn rash behind the ears mentioned above, we always need to determine the extent and condition of the baby first.
This disease is relatively complicated; creams and prescription drugs are needed for some, and some more severe cases will require oral medication. It is advisable to consult a doctor or specialist.
You can consult more advice from experts to take timely measures. Usually, the doctor can give fluids or take special medicine to reduce fever.
Some treatments you can apply at home to ease symptoms:
- Drink a lot of water, juice, and herbal tea. To replenish fluids lost due to a fever and sweating.
- Increase moisture in the atmosphere. To get rid of a cough and sore throat, use a humidifier. Air moisture addition can relieve discomfort.
- Eat healthily and get enough rest.
Until now, there is no specific treatment for this one. Therefore, people often must identify early when the disease first developed to help remission.
Some common methods include the use of medication to alleviate the ear pain. In special cases, the baby will also need intravenous fluids.
Lupus can cause a baby rash behind ear for a long time, making your child uncomfortable.
This one can be treated by:
- Provide your child with a healthy and full diet
- Encourage them to stay active such by playing sport
- Remember to avoid direct sun exposure
- Keep the atmosphere clear, say no to poor hygiene by setting up a simple cleaning schedule for your house
- Get plenty of rest
Different symptoms and effects might result from a yeast infection behind baby’s ear, depending on the causes.
When their ear exhibits redness, swelling, or skin peeling, it is best to be more concerned and take action.
Keep your kid clean at all times, especially around the head and ears, regardless of the origin of the fungus infection.
In less severe cases, you can apply some petroleum jelly on the scales to ease them. Don’t forget to consult a dermatologist or a doctor to choose the best treatment.